Clogged toilet? No problem. With a plunger or a toilet snake, even a home repair newbie can get a clogged toilet back up and running in minutes. In this article, we’ll tell you how to avoid a household catastrophe by unclogging a clogged toilet fast.
Toilets are rarely thought about until something goes wrong. When a toilet clogs or overflows, it can be inconvenient & embarrassing. Do not panic if you run into this awkward situation. With a little resourcefulness, a clogged toilet is nothing to fret over and you can fix quickly.
How to use a plunger:
For the majority of clogged toilets, you will only need a toilet plunger. Buy a toilet plunger with a flange on the end. because it is designed to fit toilets better. By folding the flange back you can also unclog drains in tubs and sinks as well.
How to unclog a clogged toilet with a plunger:
- First, put on vinyl gloves.
- Push down the plunger gently to get rid of the air, creating a good seal.
- Pump the plunger up and down with force, maintaining the seal.
- Lastly, jerk the plunger up, breaking the air seal. The water should go down the drain now.
If this doesn’t fix the clog, repeat the above steps until the clogged loosens.
Unclog toilet with baking soda and vinegar:
- Dump 1 cup of baking soda into a toilet and let it sink to the bottom.
- Add 1 gallon of boiling water if there’s not much water in the toilet to get things moving.
- Slowly add 2 cups of vinegar.
- See if the water has drained in a couple of hours. If not, let it sit a few hours longer then plunge before flushing.
How to unclog a toilet with a snake:
Plumbing snakes, also called an auger are handy tools for a homeowner.
- Place the snake head in the toilet bowl.
- Slowly turn the handle clockwise.
- When you feel friction, wind the snake back. If this loosens the clog, flush the toilet.
- If not, repeat until the clog breaks up and the toilet flushes.
Call a Plumber if all else fails:
The easiest way to unclog a stubborn toilet is to call a plumber. From baking soda to snakes, there are several options for fixing your clogged toilet, however, the most trusted method to unclog toilets is calling a plumber. Do you have another method for unclogging a toilet? Share with us below!